• Currency, purchases and customs
→ Duty-free purchases
VAT is deducted if :
- You live outside of the EU
- You are over 15 years of age
Please be aware: The airport Customs Office must stamp your export sales slips.
• Products subject to special regulations
- Cultural items
- Protected species of wild fauna and flora and related products.
- Live animals and animal products.
- Plants and plant products.
- Arms and ammunition
- Medicines and medical products (excluding personal requirements)
- Wine, alcoholic drinks and tobacco
• Travel xithin the European Union
→ Travel within the Schengeen Area
When travelling around the European Union, you can buy goods for your personal requirements in another member state without any quantity or price limits and without carrying out any formalities at the borders.
The Schengen Area brings together thirteen member countries of the European Union, signatories of the Schengen Agreement. This agreement enables the free circulation of people in these countries.
Please be aware : Norway and Iceland are connected to the thirteen signatory countries.
These two countries have signed a cooperation agreement with the Schengen states.
→ Travelling outside the Schengen Area
Since 1st May 2004, there have been 25 EU member states :
Germany, Latvia, Austria, Lithuania, Belgium, Luxembourg, Cyprus, Malta, Spain, Poland, Estonia, Portugal, Denmark, The Netherlands, Finland, The Czech Republic, France, The United Kingdom, Greece, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Ireland, Sweden, Italy.
→ Citizens of a European Union member state
- Can enter and travel around European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) countries without any special formalities.
- Do not have to obtain a residence permit as long as their stay in a member state is not over three months.
- Must carry a valid passport or identity card.
Please be aware : Some member states have removed the obligation from their legislation for citizens of a member state to hold a residency permit.
• Other countries
When returning to France from a non-EEC country or Andorra, goods contained in your personal baggage are not subject to payment at Customs as long as their value does not exceed the following limits :
|Passengers aged||Non - CEE country||Andorra|
|+ 15 years||182.94 €||548.82 €|
|- 15 years||91.47 €||274.41 €|
|A declaration must be made for goods which exceed these limits.|
Customs info service : 0811 20 44 44 (from 8.30am to 5.30pm - cost of a local call to mainland France) for any general query about customs
Customs public utility at Aéroports de Lyon : +33 (0)4 72 22 74 20 for any query about tax refund or duty-free
The export, import or possession of a counterfeit item, whatever its country of origin (EU or another country), and even of articles destined for your personal use, is strictly forbidden by French law.
The legislation has been reinforced and the acquisition of a product counterfeiting a brand makes you liable to serious sanctions: immediate confiscation of goods, high customs fine, legal proceedings.
• Voyageurs, la douane vous informe
Dans cette rubrique, vous trouverez notamment les produits soumis à des restrictions d'importation (végétaux, fruits et légumes, denrées d'origine animale, ...)
→ En savoir plus
• Les franchises douanières et fiscales en valeur et en quantités
- Customs service info : from 8.30am to 5.30pm
- +33 (0)811 20 44 44 (cost of a local call to mainland France)
- Customs public utility at Aéroports de Lyon
- +33 (0)4 72 22 74 20